Patient Rights & Responsibilities
At Billings Clinic, we recognize the importance of treating each patient with respect and dignity, of recognizing individuality, of providing clear information and involving the patient in choices about his or her care and treatment.
As a patient, you deserve:
Quality of Care
- Care which recognizes and maintains your dignity and values.
- A safe care setting.
- Care provided by competent personnel.
- Knowing the identity and professional status of your caregivers.
- Pastoral and/or spiritual support.
- Interpreters and/or special equipment to assist language needs.
- Information about care options that are available after discharge.
- Freedom from all forms of abuse and harassment.
Confidentiality and Privacy
- Personal privacy within the law.
- Confidentiality of your medical and billing records.
- To receive all medical information regarding health status, including alternatives and risks.
- To help plan your care, treatment and discharge.
- To participate in decisions about your care.
- To give informed consent prior to the start of any tests, surgery, procedure or treatment. You may also withdraw your consent at any time.
- To request a second opinion.
- To create advance directives (such as a living will) and to have the intent of such directives honored to the extent permitted by law.
- To accept, refuse or withdraw from clinical research.
- To choose or change your health care provider.
- To have a family member or representative of choice or own physician notified promptly of admission to the hospital.
Access to Medical Records
- To ask to review your medical records with your health care provider and to have the information explained and interpreted within a reasonable time frame.
Seclusion and Restraints
- To be free of any sort of restraint unless medically necessary.
Pain or discomfort is an expected result of surgical and medical conditions. We would like you to:
- Ask your doctor or nurse any questions about pain or the treatment of pain.
- Be as comfortable as possible during your hospital stay within the context of safe and appropriate pain management.
- Tell the hospital staff how much pain you are experiencing, on a scale of one to 10, and which activities make it worse.
- Be treated for any side effects that pain medications may cause.
- To voice a complaint to your health care provider without fear of reprisal.
- To receive a timely response with the results of your complaint.
- To request an Ethics Committee consultation and/or participate in any ethical discussions that arise in the course of your care.
- To communicate concerns by calling 406-238-5771.
- A complete explanation of your bill.
- To speak with a financial counselor regarding your bill, insurance, copays and other means of payment.
Billings Clinic is a not-for-profit health care organization committed to providing care to all persons regardless of race, creed, color, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression. We accept persons covered by Medicaid or Medicare and we offer substantial charity care and financial assistance to those in financial need.
- If this facility provides emergency services, it must not deny those services to a person who needs them but cannot pay for them.
If you believe you have been discriminated against by Billings Clinic, contact Patient Relations at 238-5771 or the Office for Civil Rights at 1-800-368-1019, TDD 1-800-537-7697, or www.hhs.gov/ocr.
Billings Clinic es una organización de salud sin fines de lucro comprometida a proporcionar la atención cae a todas las personas independientemente de su raza, credo, la identidad de color, género, edad, origen nacional, discapacidad, orientación sexual, o / expresión de género. Aceptamos las personas cubiertas por Medicaid o Medicare y le ofrecemos la atención de beneficencia y asistencia financiera a aquellos en necesidad financiera.
- Si este centro ofrece los servicios de emergencia, no se debe negar esos servicios a una persona que los necesita pero no puede pagar por ellos.
Si usted cree que ha sido discriminado por la Clínica Billings, póngase en contacto con Relaciones con los Pacientes en el 238-5771 o la Oficina de Derechos Civiles al 1-800-368-1019, TDD 1-800-537-7697 o www.hhs.gov/ocr.
Help us take care of you.
Please know that we support you in meeting your responsibilities during your stay, such as:
- Providing accurate and complete medical information to your health care providers.
- Understanding your treatment plan, asking questions, and informing staff when answers are not understandable or your treatment plan cannot be followed.
- Reporting any change in your condition.
- Presenting important valuables to hospital staff for safekeeping.
- Informing us of Advance Directives.
- Participating in your care.
- Following the advice of your health care team to the best of your ability.
- Accepting the consequences of your decisions if you refuse to follow recommended treatments and instructions.
Respect and Consideration
- Respecting the needs, rights and property of other patients, family members and caregivers.
- Being mindful of noise levels.
Insurance and Billing
- Knowing the extent of your insurance coverage.
- Knowing your insurance requirements such as pre-authorization, deductibles and co-payments.
- Calling the billing office with questions or concerns.
- Meeting your financial obligations.
Billings Clinic is a weapons, tobacco and drug abuse - Free Zone.