Health Information Management
A patient and/or their legal representative may inspect and/or obtain a copy of their personal health care information. They may also have copies of their medical records sent to a third party provider.
Billings Clinic requires a completed and signed authorization form to release health information to anyone, including the patient. (You will need Adobe® Reader® to view and print the authorization form. If you do not have this software, you may download it FREE.)
In certain cases, a patient’s physician, or psychologist may also be required to approve a request before releasing the healthcare information.
Our contact information for Release of Information is:
HIM Department-Release of Information
P.O. Box 31598
Billings, MT 59107-7000
Email address: (Health information sent via unencrypted email may place risk of inappropriate access to the information contained within e-mail. I accept the risk of this if I direct Billings Clinic to send my health information via unsecure means).
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I request a copy of my medical records?
- Please complete the release of information form. Mail, email or fax your completed, signed request form directly to the HIM department. The mailing address, email address and fax number are listed above. You may also drop off the form in the HIM department during business hours.
Q: Can I get a copy of my COVID vaccination card?
- No, Billings Clinic does not keep copies of vaccination cards. We can provide you with a copy of your immunization record. If you received your COVID vaccination at Billings Clinic, that will be included on your immunization record. You can also print a copy of your COVID vaccinations through patient connect. To login to patient connect click here.
Q: Where are you located, how do I get there?
- The HIM department is located on the first floor, northeast corner by the cafeteria.
Q: How long will it take to receive my records, after I submit my request?
- Once the HIM department receives your authorization to release information, it can take up to 30 days to process. Occasionally delays occur for active records that are needed for patient care or for inactive records that are stored off site. We will attempt to contact you if extra time is needed to process your request.
Q: How will the records be delivered to me?
- We will deliver the records in the method that you choose on the form. Please note that if records are too large to fax or email, they will be mailed to you. If you choose to pick your records up in person, we do require your photo ID.
Q: Can records be provided on a thumb drive?
- No, we cannot provide records on a thumb drive. We provide records on a disc or in paper format only.
Q: Can my spouse or other family members request copies of my medical record?
- You will need to sign the authorization form before your records will be released. If they would like to pick them up for you, that must be indicated on the authorization form.
Q: How do I request copies of a deceased/incapacitated family member?
- The executor of the estate will need to complete the authorization form as well as attach the legal documents stating that they are the executor of the estate. A death certificate is also required, in addition to the legal documents.
Q: Is there a cost to receive records?
- Patients get a copy of their medical records for free.
Q: What are your hours of operation?
- 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Q: How do I obtain copies of my x-ray films?
- Complete the authorization form indicating you would like x-ray films. Films will be provided on a disc and must be mailed or picked up.
Q: Who can I talk to about my bill?
- Patient accounts would be happy to assist you with any questions about your bill, and they can be contacted at (406) 237-2250.
Q: How do I request a copy of my birth certificate?
- You will need to contact the department of birth and death certificates in Helena. They can be contacted at (406) 444-4228.
Q: How do I fill out the form?
- The form must be completed, dated and hand signed. Electronic signatures may be accepted if using an e-sign method such as e-signature, adobe sign, docusign, etc. We cannot accept a typed signature.
- If you have any questions or need help filling out the form, please call.