Skip to Content

Set Your Location to See Relevant Information

Setting your location helps us to show you nearby providers and locations based on your healthcare needs.



Health Information Management
(Medical Records)

A patient and/or their legal representative may inspect and/or obtain a copy of their personal health care information. They may also have copies of their medical records sent to a third party provider.

Billings Clinic requires a completed and signed authorization form to release health information to anyone, including the patient. (You will need Adobe® Reader® to view and print the authorization form. If you do not have this software, you may download it FREE.)

Authorization Forms to Disclose Private Health Care Information

In certain cases, a patient’s physician, or psychologist may also be required to approve a request before releasing the healthcare information.

Our mailing address for Release of Information is:

HIM Department-Release of Information
Billings Clinic
2800 Tenth Ave North
P.O. Box 31598
Billings, MT 59107-7000

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I request a copy of my medical records?

A: Please complete the authorization form to disclose personal healthcare information. Mail or fax your completed, signed request form directly to the HIM department. The address and fax numbers are listed above. You may also drop off the form in the HIM department during business hours.

Q: Where are you located, how do I get there?

  • The HIM department is located on the first floor, northeast corner by the cafeteria.
  • The Behavioral Health HIM is located in the N. 27th Street building on the fourth floor.

Q: How long will it take to receive my records, after I submit my request?

Once the HIM department receives your authorization to release information, it will take up to 30 days to process. Occasionally delays occur for active records that are needed for patient care or for inactive records that are stored off site. We will attempt to contact you if extra time is needed to process your request.

Q: Will you mail the copies or do I have to pick them up?

We will mail the information to the address you provide on the authorization form. If you would rather pick the medical records up, please indicate this on the authorization form. We will call you when the records are ready, we do require your photo id to receive the requested records.

Q: Can my spouse or other family members request copies of my medical record?

You will need to sign the authorization form before your records will be released. If they would like to pick them up for you, that must be indicated on the authorization form.

Q: How do I request copies of a deceased/incapacitated family member?

The executor of the estate will need to complete the authorization form as well as attach the legal documents stating that they are the executor of the estate.

Q: Is there a cost to receive records?

Patients get a copy of their medical records for free.

Q: What are your hours of operation?

8a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday

Q: Will you fax the copies to my home or office?

To protect patient confidentiality, we cannot fax confidential health information directly to patients or businesses. We can fax this information directly to a doctor’s office or other health care facility if indicated on the authorization form.

Q: How do I obtain copies of my x-ray films?

Complete the authorization form indicating you would like x-ray films. You may submit the form to the HIM department or directly to the x-ray department.

Q: Who can I talk to about my Bill?

Patient accounts would be happy to assist you with any questions about your bill, and they can be contacted at (406) 237-2250.

Q: How do I request a copy of my birth certificate?

You will need to contact the department of birth and death certificates in Helena. They can be contacted at (406) 444-4228.

Q: How do I fill out the form?

  • The form must be completed, dated and signed.
  • We ask that you specify what components of your medical records you wish to obtain. Often, the pertinent information contain relevant information to suit your needs.
  • Requests must be specifically signed if requesting/authorizing the following information: Psychiatric Care, AIDS/HIV, Alcohol/Drug abuse
  • If you have any questions or need help filling out the form, please call.

Related Information

Health Information Management (Medical Records)

Hours of Operation

8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Monday through Friday

Contact Information

Release of Information Dept.

Phone:  406-657-4676

Fax:  406-657-4348


Location of Release of Information Department

Hospital Map

Parking Map

Behavioral Health Release of Information

Phone:  406-247-6355

Fax:  406-252-5430

Call HealthLine

Talk to a registered nurse about your health question or get help finding a physician.

(406) 255-8400 or 1-800-252-1246