If you have a female reproductive cancer or if pre-cancerous conditions are present, you will want to see a specialist. Billings Clinic Cancer Center has the only board-certified gynecologic oncologists in Montana and Wyoming. Additionally, our gynecological cancer specialists provide surgical and clinical outreach services in Great Falls, Missoula, Helena, and Bozeman.
Our team takes a holistic approach to your care and customizes your treatment based on input from you, your family, and your referring physician. We understand that each case is different and design our treatment accordingly.
Our gynecologic cancer team is trained in state-of-the-art treatments and drug therapies and has years’ of experience with difficult pelvic surgeries.
Gynecologic Cancer Treatment Team
When you partner with Billings Clinic Cancer Center, your team meets to discuss your care and provide expertise that is not always available at other cancer centers. Your team includes:
- Your OBGYN or family medicine doctor
- Radiation oncologists
- A registered nurse and patient navigator
- Physician assistants
- Surgical staff
- Counselors (genetic counselor, licensed counselor, and financial counselor)
In addition to providing cancer resources and support, we coordinate appointments, schedules tests, and educate you and your family about your disease.
Gynecologic Cancer Treatment
Treatment for patients with gynecologic cancer or pre-cancerous condition may include:
- Pelvic cancers such as cervical, endometrial, ovarian, or vulvar cancer.
- Abnormal Pap smears or cervical lesions requiring further examination.
- Abnormal uterine bleeding, vulver irritations, or lesions
- Ovary, fallopian tube, or pelvic masses.
- Recurrent gynecologic cancers.
- Women diagnosed at another facility or who received treatment elsewhere and were referred to Billings Clinic Cancer Center for treatment.
Treatment for gynecologic cancers may include surgery, chemotherapy, high dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy and participation in clinical trials. As gynecologic oncologists, our physicians specialize in gynecology, surgical oncology, and medical oncology. They can deliver systemic therapies (usually chemotherapy) and work with a radiation oncologist to deliver brachytherapy treatment.
Our gynecologic oncologists can also perform minimally-invasive robotic surgery using da Vinci Surgical System.
Our Treatment Team
Dr. Justin Bottsford-Miller, Dr. Megan Peterson, Dr. Elizabeth Connor and Dr. Alexis Hokenstad lead an exceptional team including a registered nurse/patient care navigator and physician assistants caring exclusively for patients with gynecologic cancers. They are intimately involved in educating patients, coordinating appointments, scheduling tests and acting as a liaison between patients and physicians.
Billings Clinic’s gynecologic cancer team members include:
- Justin Bottsford-Miller, MD, Gynecologic Oncology
- Megan Petersen, MD, Gynecologic Oncology
- Dr. Elizabeth Connor, MD, Gynecologic Oncology
- Dr. Alexis Hokenstad, MD, Gynecologic Oncology
- Kristin Bell, PA
- Heath Hines, PA
- Deb Hofer, RN, Patient Care Navigator
We have access to a variety of clinical research studies designed to prevent, detect and treat gynecologic cancers. Billings Clinic Cancer Center is affiliated with the Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG), a national clinical trials group. Patients also can take part in studies with the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group, a group dedicated to radiation therapy trials, and receive new cancer therapies offered through clinical studies initiated by Billings Clinic researchers and physicians.