Patient Care Navigators
Discovering you have cancer, or your doctor suspects you may have cancer, can be a frightening experience. This can be a very difficult time for you and your family. You may certainly have a lot of questions and concerns, and might require help arranging the care you need.
At Billings Clinic Cancer Center, a registered nurse serving as a patient care navigator is here to help you through this time, and to ensure you receive the best care possible. A patient care navigator works with you as you move through the health care system. Your navigator is here to help you eliminate any barriers in obtaining a definitive diagnosis, receiving a treatment plan that is both understandable and feasible, and coordinating timely treatment.
Patient care navigators are oncology registered nurses trained in the necessary skills to assist you with the following:
- Guidance through the health care system
- Understanding your diagnosis and treatment
- Directing you to available educational resources and supportive services
- Finding answers to both insurance and financial concerns by connecting you to appropriate resources
- Referral to a tumor board where cancer specialists will plan the best possible treatment to fit your specific needs
- Coordinating appointments and transportation assistance
- Providing the answers you need and helping you understand the information delivered
- Offering support, guidance, and instruction in cancer care
- Making referrals to appropriate services such as genetic counseling, nutrition, case management, medication assistance, and financial counseling
Patient care navigators are available to help you receive accurate and timely treatment by coordinating appointments and services, and building strong relationships with other health care team members by keeping communication lines open with patients and maintaining truly patient-centered care.
By using patient care navigation services, you will be assisted in timely resolution of care issues from diagnosis through treatment. Many patients have told us that their patient care navigator improved their entire cancer care experience and we'd like to do the same for you.