Schedule an Appointment
You or your physician may give us a call to schedule your thoracic surgery consultation or appointment.
Patients undergoing an elective procedure will need to have a COVID-19 test done 4-6 business days before their procedure. For your convenience, we opened a curbside COVID-19 Pre-Procedural Testing Center where you can have the test performed from your car The Center is located at N. Broadway and 8th Ave. N outside near SameDay Care. Your care team will schedule a time for you to have your test done at the Center. Testing samples are sent to Mayo Clinic for analysis and take about four to six business days for results. Patients will need to self-quarantine for the period of time between the test sample being collected and the date of their procedure. Thank you for taking this important step to protect yourself, our care team, and other patients.
This Center is specifically for patients scheduled for a procedure who do not have symptoms of COVID-19. Symptomatic patients can call Healthline at (406) 255-8400 or 1-800-252-1246.
Billings Clinic thoracic surgeons perform operations on the lungs, chest cavity and chest wall. Your care is discussed at the Lung Cancer Tumor Board and Lung Conference, which brings together the expertise of multiple specialists in reviewing patient's treatment plan.
By working together, we can provide coordinated care that’s individualized to each patient.
We schedule needed tests and visits with physician specialists all in one day. Care team members you may meet with include:
For answers to any of your questions or for more information, please visit with members of your thoracic surgery care team.
Thoracic Surgery Procedures
Billings Clinic thoracic surgeons provide surgical evaluation and treatment for pulmonary, chest cavity and chest wall conditions related to:
da Vinci Surgical Robotic Surgery Procedures
Some thoracic surgical procedures at Billings Clinic are performed utilizing the da Vinci surgical system:
- Robotic Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery – removal of a lobe of the lung (Lobectomy)
- Removal of part of the lung (Wedge Resection)
- Lung biopsy
- Biopsy of membrane tissue around the lung (Pleural biopsy)
- Creating an opening in the membrane that surrounds the heart (also known as the pericardial window)
- Removal of the thymus gland (Thymectomy)
Lung Cancer Screening
Billings Clinic offers low-dose lung CT scans as a screening test for lung cancer. Screening may detect cancer earlier, before symptoms occur. Lung screening is recommended for individuals who:
• Are between ages 55 and 74?*
• Are still smoking or quit smoking within the past 15 years?
• Have a 30-pack year or more history of smoking? A pack year is calculated by multiplying the number of packs smoked per day by the number of years an individual has smoked.
Learn more about Lung Cancer Screening or contact us at 406-238-5864 (LUNG), Monday-Friday, 8 am to 5 pm for screening assessment and scheduling.
* Insurance coverage varies. Tricare now covers screening for ages 55-80.