Diabetes self management education gives you the skills you need to learn to control your diabetes.
- Learn what diabetes is and how to manage it
- Learn how food affects your blood glucose and how to eat healthy for a lifetime
- Learn the benefits of activity and how to make it a part of your life
- Learn how your medication works
- Learn how to monitor and interpret your blood glucose
- Learn to prevent complications
- Learn skills for managing a lifetime disease
- Continued motivation for good health
Most insurance plans and Medicare/Medicaid cover diabetes education. Check with your plan.
Diabetes Self-Management Education Team Members
Diabetes Educators are Registered Nurses and Registered Dietitians who have completed special training, extensive practical experience and testing in diabetes care and management.
Diabetes educators focus on helping you achieve behavioral change goals which in turn help you reduce your risk of complications and improve your health status.
Diabetes Associations and Organization