Diabetes Prevention - LifeStyle Balance
To get started, call today!
Live life the way it was meant to be lived. You can start reducing your risk of developing type 2 diabetes with help from Billings Clinic's LifeStyle Balance program.
This program is devoted to group lifestyle changes aimed at healthy living and preventing type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
About LifeStyle Balance
Billings Clinic recognizes the need for diabetes and cardiovascular disease prevention by partnering with the Montana Cardiovascular and Diabetes Prevention Program to offer a lifestyle change program.
Research has demonstrated that people who are at risk for diabetes can reduce their risk of developing or delaying type 2 diabetes up to 58% if they lose at least 5% of their body weight, and maintain an active lifestyle.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does LifeStyle Balance work?
With structured weekly classes focusing on nutrition, exercise, stress management, and lifestyle changes, you are taught by a team of health care professionals, skilled with the wellness tools and resources to help the group learn how to live a healthier and more active life. New sessions start in the February and August.
Are there any eligibility requirements for the program?
Yes. All participants must meet certain criteria to be considered for membership to the program:
- BMI > 24
- 18 years and older
- Medical clearance from physician
- Show a readiness to change
Interested participants must also qualify for one or more of the following risk factors:
- Diagnosis of pre-diabetes or impaired fasting glucose or impaired glucose tolerance
- History of gestational diabetes or having a baby weighing over 9 pounds
- Cholesterol disorder (high LDL or low HDL) or currently on cholesterol medication
- High blood pressure or currently on medication for hypertension
Is LifeStyle Balance a good choice for me?
Are you ready to change your life? Changing your lifestyle can be hard work, and here's what's required for you:
- Meet with the team prior to starting the program for an individual assessment
- Attend weekly sessions for 16 weeks, bi-weekly sessions for two months followed by monthly sessions for 6 months - a total of 12 months
- Express a readiness to change eating and physical activity habits
- Are willing to keep detailed food and activity records
- Are willing to be active at least 150 minutes per week
Is there a fee for LifeStyle Balance?
There is a fee for the LifeStyle Balance program. Billings Clinic employees have the option of using payroll deduct. Medicaid now covers the cost of the LifeStyle Balance program. Call to get pricing information:
In Billings: 406-238-5245
In Miles City: 406-233-7023