Billings Clinic Wellness Trail at Rimrock Mall is designed for active adults who want to get healthy – all you have to do is walk! Walking provides health benefits, and walking inside the safe and climate-controlled environment of Rimrock Mall is both convenient and consistent. Follow the signage throughout the Mall and walk your way to a healthier you!
Rimrock Mall in Billings
You may enter at the Main Entrance or East Entrance. Doors are open at 6 am, 7 days a week.
1 lap = .6 miles
2 laps = 1.2 miles
3 laps = 1.8 miles
4 laps = 2.4 miles
5 laps = 3.0 miles
Walking is a gentle, low-impact exercise that can ease you into a higher level of fitness and health.
Walking can help you:
- Lower low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (the bad cholesterol).
- Raise high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (the good cholesterol).
- Lower your blood pressure.
- Reduce your risk of or manage type 2 diabetes.
- Manage your weight.
- Improve your mood.
- Stay strong and fit.
Preparation to avoid injury:
Take time to prepare yourself to prevent injuries,such as blisters on your feet or muscle pain.
- Wear walking shoes and comfortable, protective clothing.
- Warm up – five minutes of walking slowly warms your muscles.
- Stretch after warming up. Include the calf stretch, quadriceps stretch, hamstring stretch and side stretch.
- Cool down with five minutes of slow walking after each walking session to reduce stress on your heart and muscles. Then, repeat your stretches.
Walking is a great exercise, because it’s so simple to do. But using the correct posture and movements is essential.
© 2011 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research MC6027-07
- Focus 15–20 feet in front of you.
- Keep chin parallel to the ground.
- Gently tighten stomach muscles.
- Tuck your pelvis under torso.
- Position feet parallel to each other.
- Move shoulders naturally.
- Swing arms in natural motion.
For maximum benefits, work your way up to 30 to 60 minutes a day within your target heart rate zone, most days of the week. To achieve these benefits, it can help to set goals, track your progress and take steps to stay motivated.