LSVT BIG® and LSVT LOUD® Parkinson’s Therapy
LSVT BIG® and LSVT LOUD®: What Can Parkinson’s Therapy Do for You?
What is Parkinson's Disease?
Parkinson's disease is a progressive disease of the neurological system that affects movement, speech, and swallowing.
The main symptoms of Parkinson's Disease are:
For more information on Parkinson's disease and Parkinson's disease treatment with LSVT BIG and LSVT LOUD, please visit with your physician or call (406) 238-5676.
- Slowed movement
- Problems with balance or walking
- Soft, monotone speech
- Difficulty with handwriting
LSVT BIG therapy helps to improve balance and rotation and promotes faster walking with bigger steps for patients with Parkinson’s disease. Our LSVT BIG therapy is offered by physical and occupational therapists certified in LSVT BIG. LSVT BIG translates bigger movements into real world, everyday activities and empowers people with Parkinson’s disease to re-engage in their meaningful activities.
Our LSVT BIG program is designed to:
- Increase walking speed and reinforce bigger steps
- Emphasize normal movements and patterns
- Encourage rotational movements through exercise
- Increase speed of movement
- Improve balance
LSVT LOUD therapy helps to improve voice and speech in individuals with Parkinson's Disease. Our LSVT LOUD therapy is offered by speech-language pathologists certified in LSVT LOUD. It is common that individuals with Parkinson's Disease speak softly and have difficulty being loud enough for people to hear.
The LSVT LOUD program is designed with the goal to:
- Increase loudness of speech
- Improve speech intelligibility
- Work on precise and clear speech sounds
- Improve speech rate
- Improve intonation (melody) of speech
Benefits of LSVT BIG therapy
LSVT BIG might be right for you if:
- you sometimes shuffle or drag your feet
- take short, choppy steps while walking
- walk more slowly than your family or friends
- feel unsteady or imbalanced.
LSVT BIG treatment:
- Trains a single target of amplitude (bigger movements)
- Drives intensive and high-effort practice
- Teaches the amount of effort required to produce normal movements
- Translates bigger movements into real-world, everyday activities
- Empowers people with Parkinson’s with their potential to improve
Benefits of LSVT LOUD therapy
LSVT LOUD might be right for you if:
- others can’t hear you when you’re speaking or say you are mumbling
- you feel that you can’t enunciate well or speak clearly or loudly
- others often ask you to repeat what you’ve said.
After a course of treatment, LSVT LOUD patients experience:
- Improved vocal loudness and clearer speech
- Improved confidence
LSVT BIG and LSVT LOUD are customized to the unique goals of each patient with patient-centered care as our focus. Each treatment consists of 1-hour sessions, 4 days a week for 4 weeks. During the treatment sessions patients are taken through a specific series of exercises, work on functional activities and phrases and are provided with a home exercise program to be completed daily.
For more information on Parkinson's disease and Parkinson's disease treatment with LSVT BIG and LSVT LOUD, please visit with your physician or call (406) 238-5676. Information on the LSVT® programs can found at www.lsvtglobal.com.